The best way to get over someone is to get under someone else: “Better than” options for your sugar cravings.
Written by Galadriel Masterson, CHHC
Breaking up with sugar doesn’t have to mean you abandon your love for something sweet. Instead, you are now going to make better choices. Choosing whole foods that will serve your gorgeous body is like hiring the world’s best assistant. I don’t know about you, but I hate when people talk about replacing cravings with ‘lots of water or hot tea or meditate’. Its like, um can you go to hell please; since when does hot tea hit the spot like flourless chocolate cake? All cravings will pass. However, the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else.
- You broke up with liquid death aka Soda. Your new lover is Kombucha: fizzy, tart and a natural probiotic making your digestion and gut flora happy n healthy. Kombucha can also become your new bff when quitting or taking a break from booze.
- If one lover isn’t enough for your appetite you might also like to play with, Seltzer. Add lime to Seltzer for a kick. Or add fresh squeezed ginger, lime and a splash of apple cider vinegar to boost immune and help digestion.
- Plain Water with fruit: fill your hipster mason jar with fresh gorgeous h20 and toss in cut up pieces of strawberry and/or pineapple and/or grapefruit. Add cucumber and fresh herbs like mint or basil if you want to get crazy chic about it.
- You kicked those ice queens, Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt to the curb once and for all. Now you can get it on with Nice Cream: In a blender or vitamix: 1 peeled, frozen banana Splash of nut-milk. *The amount of nut-milk you use will change it from ice cream consistency to Greek yogurt consistency. Now add in whatever flavor profile turns you on. I always start with a splash of vanilla, a tablespoon of raw cacao and 2 tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut. If you really want to party add unsweetened nut butter or top it and serve it with berries.
You’ve stopped seeing your afternoon delight. No more 2pm temporary dopamine hit known as, baked goods. You are left with a longing, a lust, and an itch that needs to be scratched. This is your time to embrace whole foods and whole foods only, baby.
- Fruit: an apple or orange gives you energy and sweetness. Plus, the aromatherapy of any citrus will invigorate you to plow through the afternoon. Sound boring? Kink it up: slather a banana, celery or apple with unsweetened nut butter. The protein and good fat found in the nut butter will leave both appetite and energy satisfied till dinner.
You have come to terms that Candy is fake. Hasta la vista skittles, jellybeans and gummy bears. But that texture in your mouth…oh how you crave it.
- Guess what baby; it’s all about fresh berries for you. Blueberries are little fiber bombs. Raspberries are friends to your liver and kidneys and help with anemia, as do blackberries. Strawberries are very cooling for all you red faced lovers dripping in sweat. Pomegranate is an excellent replacement for sweet and sour gummy bears. You may also love an organic, unsweetened dried mango for the sweetness and texture. Is dried fruit full of natural sugar? Yes. FULL. Is it better than candy? Three billion times better. See what I mean about making better choices and choosing whole foods?
The morning bagel. As we discussed in the last article, How to Break Up with Sugar, your body translates anything made from flour as sugar. When you eat bagels, crackers, pretzels or bread your blood sugar spikes. Then your body makes tons of insulin to lower the blood sugar, this makes you store fat. Now your blood sugar has dropped too low, this causes cravings. THIS is why morning bagel eaters need cookies in the afternoon. So f*$k bagels ok? Breakfast is best when you fuel with good fat and protein.
- Have a veggie-based smoothie with RxStar Remedy Detox Shake and nut butter.
- My egg eaters can do eggs with spinach and other veggies and top them with avocado. My vegans can do tofu with kale and sweet potato.
- My ‘I have no time crew’ can do Overnight Oats. The night before put the following uncooked items in a small mason jar.
- 2 tablespoons gluten free groats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut
- Add cinnamon and raw nuts if you desire.
- Now fill the jar with nut milk and shake, shake, shake. Put in the fridge overnight and grab it in the morning. This will take all of 3 minutes to prepare.
Chocoholics: You know how all the magazine articles say chocolate is good for you. Sorry kids, not true. It’s raw cacao that is the healing super food; which is chocolate before it was ripped to shreds. Raw cacao is full of iron and fiber.
I start my days with a smoothie that acts like a salad but taste like dessert.
- 1 peeled, frozen banana
- 2 handfuls of spinach or any raw, dark, leafy green
- Heaping tablespoon of spirulina powder for protein, detoxifying and energy
- Heaping teaspoon of milk thistle to rejuvenate and restore my liver
- Heaping tablespoon of nut butter (protein/ good fat/ yum)
- Heaping tablespoon of coconut oil (anti viral, anti bacterial and good fat)
- 3 heaping tablespoons of raw cacao (iron, fiber, energy and flavor flavor flavor)
- Pour in a little nut milk (protein and good fat)
- Add H2O and blend.
- This smoothie is so filling because of the protein/good fat combo and the flavor is uber satisfying. Starting your day with stable blood sugar means you don’t bottom out in afternoon becoming a prisoner to low energy and cravings.
Bonus: Just The Tip
If you are about to crash and burn and call your dealer cuz you can’t go on without a cookiecakepietruffle then have two squares of 80% dark chocolate. It will have sugar in it, but dark chocolate has a very small amount. In a situation like this I advocate for an Emmys Organics Macaroons, which are raw, vegan and gluten free. Find em online or at your local health food store.
Galadriel Masterson is a Certified Health and LIfeStyle Coach as well as the Creator of The Masterson Plan and motivational tools: YesBetchYes and NoBetchNo. Galadriel teaches that Health should fun, easy and inspiring…get your daily dose by following her health coach Facebook page: YesBetch and NoBetch. As well as her Health Coach Instagram Accounts: @yesbetchyes for all things you say YES to for gorgeous health and @nobetchno to kick the things out that are ruining your party!