It’s easy being Green!
By Liz Brazier
I know many of you want to start growing your own vegetables. And this month I invited Liz back from Whole Health Gardening to share a simple and easy way to start a garden.
She calls it “The Easiest Garden Ever” and I have to agree.
It all starts with growing greens, some seeds and a simple soil bag!
Hi, Liz here
Last year I began my own adventure in growing healthy leafy greens! Spinach and Kale are my favorites but I never got around to planting as I thought you had to have:
- Lots of time
- The “right” type of weather
- Plenty of space… and
- A green thumb!
Can you relate to any of these concerns? It was definitely how I was feeling.
All that changed when passionate organic gardener, and now my business partner, Jenny helped me start my own soil bag garden.
What did I need to get started? Not much actually!
She told me I could grow my own healthy food with:
- 4 square feet of outdoor growing space that receives a minimum of 4 hours of sunlight
- seeds and a soil bag
- a willingness to tend to my garden for 21-30 days
Jenny knew of my love of spinach and she inspired me to start with a focus on growing greens. Why leafy greens? She explained that they’re easy-to-grow, a widely loved super-food and are the perfect ‘gateway green’ for learning healthful gardening techniques!
To get set up with the Easiest Garden Ever there are just four easy steps to follow.
- The very first one is to site your garden in the right amount of sun. To grow leafy greens, you’ll need at least 4 hours of sunlight, but more is definitely better!
- The second step is to choose your seeds and an organic potting soil with lots of trace minerals and beneficial soil microbes.The important part is that you’re intentionally choosing soil that includes superfoods for your leafy green plants. Our US Amazon store has our favorite soil mix listed and if you live elsewhere we suggest that you visit those links or just google Happy Frog Potting Soil and find a mix with similar ingredients.
You will also need seeds to plant! Make sure to purchase non-gmo and heirloom seeds.If you are like me and want to grow leafy greens, our company Whole Health Gardening offers a set of 6 non-gmo, heirloom Leafy Green seeds packet which you can buy on Amazon.
- The third step is to make a water plan. To do this, you’ll need to poke several holes in the bottom of your soil bag, so that excess water can drain out OR so that your soil bag garden has a way to drink up much-needed water on long, hot days when you’re not around.
- And the last step – it’s time to cut an opening in your soil bag! The most important thing about cutting an opening is that you want to be sure your soil doesn’t spill out!
To help you with The Easiest Garden Ever, access our absolutely free video series HERE. Watch as we show you all the steps above in the setup of your garden, plus 3 more videos that discuss planting, caring for and harvesting your soil bag garden.
All the tips shared are helpful even if you are gardening in the ground or in a raised bed!
I hope this simple suggestion of growing greens in a soil bag gets you started with growing healthier food than you can buy!