American Pie, Apple, gluten free and crumbly…
One gluten free pie crust.
For the filling:
7 organic apples, cored, peeled and sliced (a mix of sweet and tart)
scant 3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tbsp gluten free flour
1 Tbsp organic butter (non-dairy for vegan, such as Earth Balance)
For the crumble topping:
1 cup organic rolled oats
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans (or just do 1 cup almond meal)
1/3 cup packed organic cane sugar
pinch sea salt
4 Tbsp cold organic butter (non-dairy for vegan), or subsitute with olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep the apples. Add them to the bowl and toss with sugar, cinnamon and flour. Add to pie crust and top with 1 Tbsp butter, scored into little dots or strips.
- Next prep the topping. In the same bowl mix, add the crumble topping ingredients and mix with fingers or a pastry cutter until crumbly. Then pour it over the pie, spreading it evenly to coat. Bake at 400 for 35-45 minutes, or until the pie is warm and bubbly and the top is golden brown. If you notice the crumble top getting too brown, simply top it with foil.
- Let rest for 30 minutes before slicing.
- Chow down on your american pie with your favorite beverage, be it hot or cold!