We know that fitness helps our health in an unlimited number of ways. Optimal Health is essential for maintaining a good exercise and fitness program. Whether you are training for a marathon or just exercising for pleasure and fun there are certain health considerations that will benefit your program. Each of these goals can be supported by Alternative and Complimentary therapies.
1. Energy and Endurance
In order to have energy and endurance for your workout it is essential to have proper function of the following systems of the body: digestion, endocrine and metabolism, and circulation. Without the healthy function of these systems you may find your energy is sluggish. Boost your energy and endurance with the following alternative remedies:
- Whole Foods diet with lots of complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, legumes, nuts and vegetables
- Simple Carbohydrates from fruit give immediate and quick energy.
- B complex vitamin
- Adrenal Supplements and herbs such as ginseng, licorice, rhodiola
- Seaweed supplements for the thyroid
- Electrolyte replacements such as coconut water and Emergenc-C
Adequate Sleep and rest
- 8-10 hours of sleep per night
- Increases glucose in the muscle
- Clears lactic acid
- Increases circulation
Strength requires health and balance of the muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones. It is also important to have a strong heart and good circulation.
- Protein for building muscle
- Complex carbohydrates
- Foods high in calcium and minerals
- Protein Powders-whey, hemp, rice, Amino acid supplements
- Multivitamins Calcium and bone support
- Connective tissue support such as glucosamine sulfate and MSM
- Structure affects nerve, circulation and balance
- Core Strengthening
Flexibility of the organs, mind, and muscles helps to Increase strength and reduce injuries. It also helps your recovery time.
- Magnesium malate
- Epsom Salt baths
- Herbal relaxants- passionflower, valerian, hops, kava
- alignment based styles with longer stretching time
- Deep Tissue
4. Structural Balance
The alignment of the spine is essential as from here you will be strengthening your body in the proper position. The balance of muscles and strength of ligaments, tendons and discs is an important part of the maintaining structural balance.
- Structure affects function
- Physical therapy to rehab core strength
- Alignment reduces injury to connective tissue
- Glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin, MSM
- Herbs to support connective tissue-gingko, nettles, horsetail,
- Vitamin C
- Calcium magnesium and bone support
- Muscles move bones
- Deep tissue
5. Inflammation and Pain Support
The ability of the body to recover from exercise and heal from injuries requires some support for the inflammation of the body. It is essential to have proper function of the immune system, circulatory system, and detoxification systems of the body. Healthy diets and lifestyles can also reduce pain and inflammation.
- Eliminate sugar, alcohol, wheat, cow milk, coffee, and tea
- Balance blood sugar
- Goods fats with plenty of Omega 3s
- Fruits and veggies
- Proteolytic enzymes and herbs Anti-inflammatory support herbs-boswelia, turmeric, myrrh, and white willow bark
- Epsom salt baths